Saturday, April 26, 2008

It's snowing on April 26, and I'm starting a blog

Wow, writing a first blog entry is a lot tougher than I expected. I clicked Blogger's overly enthusiastic "Start Blogging!" button about 30 minutes ago, and I'm just now starting to actually type. I think my problem was that I was trying to think of an interesting way to explain why I'm starting a blog, but the reality is it's not a very interesting topic...so instead I'll list a few reasons why I didn't start this blog:

  • To make so much money I can quit my job like this guy
  • To respond to random blog postings from others, no matter how misguided, inflammatory, or arrogant they might be.
  • To promote my company (I don't own one - yet).
  • To write about Ruby. I can't imagine a language ever having such a high ratio of blogged-about to actual-usefulness.
  • Because I like hearing the sound of my own voice


On second thought, I guess that last bullet is pretty close to the actual reason. In any case, here are a few of the blog topics I have planned for the relatively near future.

  • The name of this blog
  • Desktop apps vs. Web apps (i.e. we developers are all lazy)
  • Choice of language (because nobody's ever blogged about this before)
  • WPF 3D is worse than useless (ongoing work project)
  • Checked exceptions are the most important feature left out of every language (except Java)
  • Simulating chemical reactions with CUDA (future class project)
  • Calculating diffraction fringes with SciPy (past class project)
  • Overuse of bulleted lists and parentheses in technical blogs (I hate when people do this)

Anyway, I hope you enjoy my writing, and I always appreciate insightful comments.

No comments: